Sunday, April 5, 2009

Mash-up

I never cease to be thoroughly amused when I come across a new use for the word "mash."

There are a lot of things you can mash in the South besides potatoes.

You don't shut your finger in the door. You mash it.

You don't swat flies or kill spiders. You mash 'em.

You don't press buttons on the telephone or computer keyboard. You mash the buttons.

Give me a call if you come across any more good uses for "mash." If you get my voicemail, just mash 1 to leave a message and I'll get back to you.

2 comments:

  1. i took a Romanian friend to get a drivers license in Kentucky once. He had just moved to the US and was learning English so it was hard for him.

    What made it most difficult was the brand of "English" the examiner used. The lady kept telling him to "mash the brake" in a thick accent.

    He looked at me so confused and helpless...I felt real bad for the feller.

    by the way...I DIDNT KNOW YOU HAD A BLOG! a well kept secret!! glad i found ya.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's GREAT! I hadn't even thought of that one. Hope he eventually got his license!

    Yup, started this on the sly to see if I would have the nerve to continue. So far so good! Thanks for finding and reading it, and adding your fun story!

    ReplyDelete